Mask & Mirror UnMasked: Theatre On The Edge
Mask & Mirror Community Theatre has agreed with The Heritage Center of Tualatin to return to that venue twice each year and produce two additional plays in addition to our traditional main stage three show season at Calvin Church in Tigard. These two “edgier” shows will be positioned apart from our three show season for reasons that will become clear as you read on.
Funded in part by a grant from the Cultural Coalition of Washington County and the Oregon Cultural Trust
Statement of Purpose:
Mask & Mirror UnMasked will present unique plays of merit not usually produced by all-volunteer, non-profit community theatre; especially plays that are edgy: having a bold, provocative, or unconventional quality. We will take advantage of our opportunity to utilize a low cost, oddly configured, small theatre space by seeking out and staging simply produced plays appropriate for that venue.
Some details about our UnMasked show series:
- Six performances of each show over two weekends; Fri/Sat 7:30pm; Sun 2:30pm
- Only 50 seats sold for each performance
- $10 per ticket; no children's tickets sold; no comps given
- These shows will be sold separately and not as part of any main stage season ticket package
- Shows will be vetted by the Play Reading Committee and given public play readings; and selected by the Mask & Mirror Executive Board
Shows planned for 2020:
- Show 1: "Love, Loss and What I Wore"
- Show 2: "Lone Star"/"Laundry and Bourbon"
Shows and dates in 2019:
Past shows from 2018:
- Show 1: "The Receptionist" Dates: Jan 19, 20, 21, 26, 27, 28 2018
- Show 2: "Eleemosynary" Dates: July 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22 2018
Past shows from 2017:
- Show 1: "String of Pearls" Dates: Jan 13,14,15,20,21,22 2017
- Show 2: “Two Rooms” Dates: July 14,15,16,21,22,23 2017
UnMasked series shows will be chosen to be of excellent artistic quality, but likely of limited appeal (sometimes call “actor's shows”). These are shows that would be difficult for us to include as part of our regular three show season, and hope to fill a larger venue and longer run. Preference will be given to shows without an intermission. (The Heritage Center has only one rest room and an intermission for 50 people adds at least 25 minutes to the run time.)
These plays may contains subject matter and/or language not acceptable for a general audience (swearing; religion; politics; violence; sex; prejudice of various types, etc.) When necessary, shows will be marketed with the caveat “Due to content/language/subject matter this show is suggested for adults only.”
These shows may also have “unusual” (for Mask & Mirror) cast sizes. For example, UnMasked shows may have only one or two actors, or all male or all female casts, etc. All roles filled by open auditions as usual
To purchase tickets for our UnMasked Series, click here.
Shows from our 2018 and 2019 seasons funded in part by grants from the Cultural Coalition of Washington County, the Oregon Cultural Trust and the Tualatin Arts Advisory Committee.